Friday, October 5, 2012

VETERANS FOR COMMON SENSE: A DECADE ON THE FRONT LINES FOR AMERICA'S VETERANS

When I'm writing a story on veterans issues and need the cold, hard facts, I often turn to the people at Veterans for Common Sense (VCS), a non-profit organization that is on the front lines helping veterans on a variety of issues. Entrenched in America's veteran community, VCS, which was founded in 2002, provides public policy advocacy, public education, government relations and more. 

VCS's executive director, Patrick Bellon, a dedicated advocate, is a former Army Cavalry Scout and Iraq War veteran who worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and holds a Masters of Public Administration degree from Texas State University, where he attended using the Post 9/11 GI Bill


Bellon (left), whose military awards include the Army Commendation Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, leads VCS's efforts in Washington DC and participates in public events and media interviews that raise awareness.

VCS was responsible for
Veterans for Common Sense v. Eric K. Shinseki, the landmark lawsuit against VA. Originally filed in 2007, the lawsuit, spearheaded by former VCS executive director and current board member Paul Sullivan, demanded that the department fix its broken mental healthcare system. 


As I reported in Newsweek/The Daily Beast, the lawsuit, which initiated several positive changes at VA, was dismissed by a California appeals court four months ago. But sources tell me it may now be headed to the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, I just received this heartfelt message from a two-tour Iraq veteran and Purple Heart recipient about how much VCS means to him.

I don't often include pleas for financial help from organizations, but I wanted to pass along this deeply felt letter from a true American hero about a deserving organization that has improved the lives of so many veterans and their loved ones:
  
Hello,

I don't usually send emails like this, but when I do it is important. I work with Veterans for Common Sense, which as you may know is a nonprofit organization that  fights hard for American soldiers and veterans, and I am asking you to show your support today by helping with their Fall fund drive.

By hard, I mean they took the Department of Veterans Affairs to court when they let veterans down. VCS's litigation has caused actual changes at the VA. The lawsuit also lead to the establishment of the VA crisis line for veterans that has saved an estimated 20,000 lives. 


VCS also works hard taking military and veteran's issues straight to Capitol Hill, and in 10 years has built strong relationships with Congressmen and Senators on both sides of the aisle. Many legislative offices call VCS on veterans' issues, not the other way around. 

VCS has connections with leaders of both parties, even contributing to developing the veteran's plank of the Democratic Party platform.

VCS spends every day fighting for those who serve our country.

It's not very often VCS makes a direct appeal for donations to fund their fight, but when they do, rest assured it goes directly to pushing for policies in support of military and veteran's issues, standing up for those who were there when our country needed them. Please make your tax deductible donation today to this great organization that really is making a difference for our veterans and military. 


Take a few minutes and help VCS meet its Fall fundraising goals.

Thank You,
Christopher Miller LL.B (HONS)
Iraq Veteran and Purple Heart Recipient

6 comments:

  1. This domain is a fascinating source of educative data! Do you mind if I make a trackback of several of your blog articles on my personal portal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'd be happy if you linked to my blogs.

      Delete


  2. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr oyagu, in the net from a lady called Rebecca i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally free from Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR oyagu for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348101755322..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. I have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various disease by this great Dr_ called, Dr_ Lucky  but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr_ Lucky then i contacted him through his email when i contacted him, he assured me 100℅ that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me he medication and ask me to go for check up after one week of taking the medication. I agreed with him i took this medication and want for check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3 weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. So i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer, Etc. reach him through his Email: (drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com) WhatsApp. +2348154637647

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need ( remedy to Herpes virus )____________???????

    I highly recommend..

    Sure Treatment!!

    Please contact:

    Email Robinsonbucler [[@gmail….com]]…

    Thank YOU for reading!

    ReplyDelete